Wednesday 10 June 2009

Jean Hunter Memorial Prize - Bill Hunt

TO ISLAY WHISK ME AWAY.
 
A poem for my grandchildren who live on Islay.
 
Hip Hip Hooray,
Perhaps soon one day,
I will be off to Islay.
Quite a long way,
Will take most of the day,
But the island takes my breath away.
 
Up at five,
Grandma will drive,
Shortly after six,
We’ll be on the M6
And at 7 I feel,
We will have passed through Keele.
When at Tebay,
We are more than halfway!
 
Arrive at the ferry,
Feeling very merry.
Off in a hurry,
When I have eaten my chicken curry.
The sea is calm,
So I tell Grandma there is no need for alarm.
 
Going past Jura,
The Paps reach up to the sky.
Made it at last,
As the lifeboat station we have passed.
Step onto the isle,
With a great big smile.
 
 
Off up the hill we go.
 No snow.
Then we go round a bend,
And into Bridgend.
All the motorists at us wave,
I wish everyone on the M6,
Like that would behave!
Past the long beach,
What a wonderful view.
 
I think of Islay over and over,
Then Grandma says to me,
“Asleep you have been!”
And I realize it was all just a dream.
But dreams come true
And one day this one will too.
 
By Bill Hunt.